November 11, 2009

Adega Wine Cellars & Cafe

I planned to served mulled wine at Jackie's during dinner service, so I made my way to Whole Foods in Silver Spring for vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. When I was done spice shopping, I realized that I was starving, so I went around the corner to Adega. I'd been there once before and I remembered the sweet potato fries were yummilicious. After looking at their sandwich and wrap selections, I decided on the portabello mushroom with pesto, sauteed onions and grilled red peppers on foccacia and a side of eggplant fries. I did contemplate ordering a glass of wine, but it seemed inappropriate to drink in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday just before going in to work at a bar.

As I waited for my food, I picked a nice quiet table by the window and checked out my surroundings. The part of Adega that I was at was the cafe section, with a counter for ordering and paying and then a separate counter for picking up food, and behind a wooden panel, the exciting action of food preparation was taking place. There were about 10 tables to dine at or there is also counter space at the wooden panel that separates the food prep area from the dining space. The other side of the establishment was dedicated to wine - shelves and shelves of wine which I would have loved to check out up close, had I not been weak from hunger and dying to catch up on what Edward and Bella were up to in my new book, Twilight. There is seating on the wine side also, but not as much as the side that I was sitting at. So I admired from a distance and opened up my book.

I only got through a couple of paragraphs when my number was called. I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that it was 3:00pm on a Tuesday and there were only about 5 diners. I galloped over to pick up the food and I got excited when I saw my tray. The sandwich was pretty large, the foccacia was thick and they didn't skimp on the filling. I took a bite - no, I took several bites and ate a few of the eggplant fries before I realized I had forgotten to take a picture!! So I paused quickly to take a couple of pictures then went back to enjoying my lovely lunch. The only unsatisfactory item was the cold marinara sauce that was served with the eggplant fries. Why cold? The sandwich is hot, the fries are hot, but the sauce, which I was fully expecting to be hot, was not. Nevertheless, it was delicious. The fries were crispy on the outside and soft and yummy inside, and, might I say, the perfect companion to the portabello sandwich. Before I knew it, I had read an entire chapter of Twilight, was full, and had lunch for the next day as I couldn't eat more than half of the sandwich.

If you are in the neighborhood and want a delicious bite to eat and maybe some wine to accompany your meal, definitely check out Adega. Oh, check out their Monday special: half off Adega selected wines with a purchase of entree, dine-in only. Tasty tasty!!!

$

www.adegawinecellars.com

No comments:

Post a Comment